Plant health is largely determined by the presence or absence of plant harmful organisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses, nematodes, insects and mites.
You can call on us for our expertise on these and other themes:
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Plant harmful organisms: bacteria, fungi, viruses, nematodes, insects and mites
- Quarantine (Q) and regulated, not-quarantine (RNQP) organisms
- Bioassays (plant resistance, inoculation with fresh pathogens, quantification of biocontrol fungi, phage bioassay)
- Phytosanitary quality control
- Molecular analysis techniques such as metabarcoding, WGS, PCR sequencing, qPCR, LAMP and ELISA
- Bio-informatics pipelines
Our modern research infrastructure is at your disposal:
- Experimental greenhouses equipped for trials with pests, diseases and quarantine organisms
- Growth chambers
- Contained shelters
- Specialized equipment for extraction of organisms from soil and plant material
- Various microscopes for identification of organisms
- Molecular labs
- A horizontal Genomics Platform for the study of genes and genomes
Plants and plant products, soil and water with the suspected presence of plant harmful organisms like bacteria, fungi, viruses, nematodes, insects and mites, can be presented for analysis at our ISO 17025 accredited Diagnostic Centre for Plants. Diagnostic Centre for Plants.
Monitoring biocontrol fungi in substrates
Incorporating biocontrol organisms such as Trichoderma into substrates is increasingly being used as an alternative to classical control treatments for fungi or insects that cause root damage. However, monitoring of these fungi in a complex environment such as in potting soil or on roots requires strain-specific detection techniques. ILVO combined its knowledge and expertise in both classical and molecular detection technology to help find specific solutions for producers of biocontrol organisms. In collaboration with a company, a specific PCR assay was developed for one specific Trichoderma strain; this strain can now be better monitored in various crops.
Partnering with us
Do you have a question, an idea or interest in working with the Plant Living Lab? Contact us right away. We guarantee the confidentiality of all your questions.